[CALUG] May CALUG Meeting Annoucement — Distributed computing to perform science

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sun May 10 20:38:53 EDT 2020

Greetings All,

For the May 13, 2020 CALUG meeting we will have a presentation from Tim
Spangler on Using Linux and Distributed computing to perform science (like
finding treatments for Covid-19).

Originally started in 1999 at Berkely with SETI at Home, distributed computing
is a fairly simple concept - a university, government research institution,
etc takes a large chunk of data and breaks it up into small pieces. The
data is sent out to anyone who is a member of that research team, your
computer does the number crunching, and the finished product is sent back
to the institution to be added to the whole body of research. The
applications themselves can be set to run to only use your idle computing
power - so if you need to use your computer, great, the research pauses.
But when you walk away, as long as you leave your computer running, it will
work on the chunk of research data, eventually completing it, sending it
back and asking for more work. The installation takes up a small amount of
space, and you can easily control how much of your computer processing
power you want dedicated to either program.

What started with analyzing Arecibo radio telescope data looking for alien
signals has since grown to many projects, including projects with medial
applications. This presentation will cover the top medial applications that
are looking for Covid treatments (currently Folding at Home and Rosetta at Home,
but more are on the way), deciding which application is ideal for a
particularly computer, and configuring a computer for the project.
Currently I have successfully setup Fedora 30, RHEL 7, OL 7, Raspbian, and
Windows to run these projects, but can assist with other Linux distros and
platforms as well.

About the Presenter:

Tim Spangler is a Performance and Scalability Engineer for Oracle’s Cloud
Monitoring system, OMC. In his spare time he likes to use technology to
solve various problems, such as how use his stack of old hardware to find
treatments for world pandemics.

For the obvious reasons, we are going to be holding the meeting online for
the foreseeable future. Our friends at Aplura have graciously provided us
access to their Zoom account for our use. I intend to open the call at
6:30pm and start the presentation at 7pm. There is a password to join the
meeting which is in the details that follow here. When joining participants
will be muted and video disabled by default. For audio, you may join using
your computer’s audio or the provided dial-in number.

Aplura LLC is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: CALUG Meeting
Time: Apr 8, 2020 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your
calendar system.
Monthly:
https://zoom.us/meeting/upIpdeqsrzwrreqEGLku08seabtT4UX47Q/ics?icsToken=98tyKu6uqjkpHtWSsVzHe7YtE53-bOH2kGNLu4Z6sBTwU3hAZwL0ItYWB4orR-mB

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/764234171?pwd=YXdwN2doL2lwaUhlTGE2VTk5eElvUT09

Meeting ID: 764 234 171
Password: calugusers

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,764234171# US (New York)
+13126266799,,764234171# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 301 715 8592 US
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US
Meeting ID: 764 234 171
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ab20ubHSVX

We are looking for speakers for the upcoming months. If you have a topic
you would like to present on, please let me know and I’ll get you scheduled.

https://calug.org
https://www.umbctraining.com/Home
https://aplura.com