[CALUG] Recommendations for NAS with Solid State Drives

Open Source Rocks opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 08:20:26 EDT 2021

Totally agree with Bryan - I have Synology DS-1621+ - it does have 2 M.2
for cache acceleration. They do provide brackets to install solid state
drives into the NAS, similar to others.
I replaced my dead Drobo from a few months back with this model - have
loved it since. Though the only annoying part thus far is the very
expensive ECC memory upgrade. (comes with 4 GB RAM, can be upgraded to 16
GB)

Interface/UI is very easy and there are a lot of apps to make your life
easier. They do have a capability to connect to the internet, however, I
have not enabled it or plan to do so.

I have 6 "rust disks" ;) and have not gotten a hit on performance, YET - I
am running a docker/minecraft server for the kids and his friends (max of 6
kids), a docker/Calibre-Web (2 users), Plex Server for my music, photos
uploads from phone, folder sharing between 5 people and a print server for
the house.

-GG