[CALUG] January CALUG Meeting Annoucement — OwnTracks

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sat Jan 9 20:43:34 EST 2021

Greetings All,

For the January 13, 2021 CALUG meeting we will have a presentation from
Jan-Piet Mens on OwnTracks.

This month’s meeting came out of a recent search I had looking to tie in
location data to my (locally run) home automation system. I found several
solutions that involved third party cloud based solutions, most with
associated annual fees. But as with many of us, I was looking for something
with some privacy and no fees. Enter OwnTracks.

OwnTracks allows you to keep track of your own location. You can build your
private location diary or share it with your family and friends. OwnTracks
is open-source and uses open protocols for communication so you can be sure
your data stays secure and private.

OwnTracks is an Open Source project which provides an iOS and an Android
app with which your smartphone records its current location. While there
are many smartphone apps available which can do that, we think OwnTracks is
special.

Whether you want your young child to know where you currently are, or you
want to keep track of where you spent your last vacation, or you and a
group of friends want to see each other on a map, OwnTracks does that. It
consists of an app which runs on your smart phone, and which periodically,
publishes a small chunk of data which other OwnTracks users you authorize
may see. The big deal here is which you authorize: we are extremely picky
about the security features of OwnTracks. To be quite clear, you also run
the backend in order to ensure that only you and the people you authorize
have access to the data published by the apps.

We are going to be holding the meeting online for the foreseeable future.
Our friends at Aplura have graciously provided us access to their Zoom
account for our use. I intend to open the call at 6:30pm and begin the
presentation at 7pm. There is a password to join the meeting which is in
the details that follow here. When joining participants will be muted and
video disabled by default. For audio, you may join using your computer’s
audio or the provided dial-in number.

Aplura LLC is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: CALUG Meeting
Time: Jan 13, 2021 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
        Every month on the Second Wed, until Mar 10, 2021, 6 occurrence(s)
        Jan 13, 2021 06:30 PM
        Feb 10, 2021 06:30 PM
        Mar 10, 2021 06:30 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your
calendar system.
Monthly:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/upIpdeqsrzwrreqEGLku08seabtT4UX47Q/ics?icsToken=98tyKu6uqjkpHtWSsVzHe7YtE53-bOH2kGNLu4Z6sBTwU3hAZwL0ItYWB4orR-mB

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/764234171?pwd=YXdwN2doL2lwaUhlTGE2VTk5eElvUT09

Meeting ID: 764 234 171
Passcode: calugusers
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,764234171# US (Germantown)
+16468769923,,764234171# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 764 234 171
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbPgEXi1MS
We are looking for speakers for the upcoming months. If you have a topic
you would like to present on, please let me know and I’ll get you scheduled.

https://owntracks.org/
https://calug.org
https://www.umbctraining.com/Home
https://aplura.com