[CALUG] Linux software management

Bernard Karmilowicz karmilow at intencorp.com
Tue Jan 8 00:13:56 EST 2008

Hi Russ:

> Should all my software come from the manufactureers recommended
> repositories in order to retain a stable system?

Not for Linux to run stable, but rather for the user applications you
install to run stable (if at all).

Application packages are assembled under assumptions (shared library
versions, config file locations, C headers, etc.) that may not apply to
your manufacturer's particular Linux distro.

A work-around (that I prefer to packages) is to download the
applications of interest from the respective developer ftp/web sites,
and compile the applications locally. This ensures the application is
built against your system files. In my experience, the compiles usually
complete without error, so the local builds do not require a significant
effort. Generally, more time is spent reading each application's README
and INSTALL files than performing the installations.

Sincerely,

- Bernie

--
  IntEn Corporation