[CALUG] Linux resource usage

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Mon Jan 26 19:26:49 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 04:21:19PM -0500, Jason C. Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Jason Dixon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 04:14:41PM -0500, Jason C. Miller wrote:
>>> Hey all.  :)
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a good way to monitor resource usage for a linux machine.
>>> Redirecting 'top' to a file only goes so far and I'm NOT looking to do
>>> something as drastic as SNMP.  Here's what I'm looking for
>>> in a solution:
>>>
>>> 1. No extra software purchase/download necessary
>>> 2. If software download is mandatory, that it be extremely minimalistic
>>> 3. Uses the default linux toolbox of utilities
>>> 4. Something thorough (seperate CPUs, memory, I/O)
>>>
>>> It could be that something simple already exists and that I've missed it.
>>> If you know of a cool utility, script, or method that I can use to
>>> accomplish this, please chime in.
>>
>> There's nothing drastic about SNMP.  It's very simple once you have the
>> basic command string and was designed for what you want.
>>
> True.  But I would like some fine-grained statistics (per second, if
> needed) without muddying the network.  This just skews the I/O results
> anyway.

You can pull SNMP queries as often you like.  SNMP != rrdtool.  It only
skews your results if you're querying from another system.  The same is
true for *any* administrative traffic you'd use to monitor the system
remotely.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting