[CALUG] RDP

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jun 28 23:34:58 EDT 2009

Jason C. Miller <jason.c.miller at gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue that I was having was getting rdesktop to work
> with my vista box.  I have a smartcard reader connected to
> my linux machine and I wanted to be able to use it on the
> remote vista box as if it was native to that box.

Now you're getting into protocol-specific details.
That can always be an issue, especially when things
aren't so "generic."

Of course, there are USB over IP (USB/IP) protocols
that are rather generic, and work separate from the
remote desktop/framebuffer + hacked support options.  ;)

> Of course, if you download the latest version of rdesktop,
> it is supported natively (by supplying the "scard"
> argument).  However, it simply wasn't working on my
> linux machine.

By "natively," what does this mean?  Again, various
support constantly gets "hacked into" RDP, but they
often change between versions.  That's always the
problem with Windows-centric protocols.

--
Bryan J Smith          Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith