[CALUG] Open Source Genealogy

Randal T. Rioux randy at procyonlabs.com
Fri Nov 20 22:21:09 EST 2009

Funny you should mention this. My father has been tracking our family
forever, and lately spun out of control including over 120,000 entries
for Acadia region descendants (I'm from Maine, family from Quebec/Nova
Scotia). I tried PhpGedView and it is a read only system (he wants to
update it online). It is too large for Family Tree Maker and I've
started scoping out writing my own software (PHP or J2EE). I don't have
time to start it yet, and would be willing to pay for the right solution
instead.

But there is none!

Please update the list if you find anything good out there. The main
problem we have is dumping the FTM proprietary files into GEDCOM format.
That's the code I've been working on. FTM crashes when opening really
large .ftw files.

Randy