[CALUG] asus wifi

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Dec 25 00:32:25 EST 2010

Ahhh, now I understand.  Okay, now you're in for a world of pain.  ;)

A "Wireless Endpoint" or sometimes called a "Client Bridge" is, essentially,
bridging across two APs (where one side is 802.11, and the other is another
framing, typically 802.3 Ethernet -- for both devices) typically doesn't work
"out-of-the-box."  It's tricky.  Frames must be modified.  Long story.  Many of
these cheap SOHO Routers either do not support bridging to an  AP, or they have
their own, proprietary frame headers that only works  between their devices.

Short story is, unlike 802.3 Ethernet which bridges transparently because there
is only the sender and receiver in the frame, 802.11 Wireless does _not_ bridge
transparently.  This is because 802.11 has sender, receiver and bridge --
there's always a bridge, the AP ("infrastructure") or another peer (of which
there are limits, variants like 802.11f ad-hoc or 802.11s mesh -- total tangent,
I've been professional involved with both developments).  There is a cost
associated with doing this in software, if its not in the WLAN ASIC and
leveraging its NPEs.

According to reviews on NewEgg:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320026

The Asus firmware does _not_ support "Wireless Endpoint."  However, if you load
the DD-WRT firmware on it, it does.  The DD-WRT firmware has a software-based
solution for "Wireless Endpoint."  Don't know how well it works on this device.
Most are just variations.  I first saw it done, in-person, by Mark Mathews back
in 2001.  It wouldn't surprise me if the code in DD-WRT is his, modified by Jean
Tourrilhes, or some other derivative.

It worked well for Mark because his reference design was a 400MHz (or so) PPC400
series, in addition to the ASIC in the WLAN radio itself (and that was almost a
decade ago).  Most of these Routers typically don't have a separate ASIC, and
just leverage the ARM for everything.  If the device is very cheap, it can be a
very, very low-end device.  I've seen the performance buckle as a result of
doing things in software, when the WLAN ASIC/NPEs don't support such.

As such, YMMV.