[CALUG] Linux choices

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Wed Dec 19 17:08:12 EST 2007

To answer your question, RedHat targets RHEL at enterprise environments and
their support is for those who must minimize downtime.  If you go with
Fedora,
you will get security patches, and for most questions you will find help
in their
forums, so for your situation, I recommend Fedora.

However, I agree with those who have suggested Debian/*buntu.  I used RPM
based systems for several years, but I am currently running Kubuntu on
my desktop
and Debian as a development server.  I am much happier with the Debian
package
management, because it supplies more application _upgrades_ as opposed
to just
_updates_ (ie. bug fixes).

But I am guessing that when you say 'another version of linux' you mean
that you
are already using one at work/school and it is RedHat.  So if that is
what you are
used to, it is probably wise to stay with it for now.

Later . . .   Jim