[CALUG] Linux choices

Bernard Karmilowicz karmilow at intencorp.com
Thu Dec 20 02:32:27 EST 2007

Hi Russ:

> I want to install and dual boot another version of linux at home. I'd
> like to backup data, share files between Windows and Linux, practice
> web development, web deployment, scripting, have a stable, dependable
> system, and learn more about Linux. I am a recent CS graduate.

A good alternative to Redhat distros is Slackware. Since you are a CS
graduate, you may be better served by your alternate Linux distro if you
choose Slackware. Avoid distros that give you cheat-sheets
(administrative shell scripts and/or GUIs) if you want to learn what is
happening under the hood. When the distro forces you to learn what files
are referenced by the Linux kernel, and to become familiar with the
records and fields of those files, you will be competent with any Linux
distribution. Slackware is an excellent learning tool.

I've found Redhat distros annoying because their kernels deviate from
the official Linux kernel source tree. The deviation is reflected in the
configuration files, and manifests itself when you edit a config file to
cause a behavior you've experienced on umpteen other Linux boxes, but
find something unexpected happens on a Redhat box. Then you have to read
configuration scripts particular to Redhat to figure out how to get that
behavior you want since your general knowledge is insufficient, rather
than spending those four minutes enjoying a beer. With Redhat, you have
to learn how to do things twice - the way it is done by Redhat, and the
way it is done by everyone else.

Regardless of which distro you choose, install the software development
packages and kernel source package included with your distro. This will
allow you to peruse kernel source files of particular interest to you to
gain an understanding of that part of the kernel's activity. It is easy
to edit a kernel source file, recompile, and reboot (or reload if the
modified code is a module) to see the effect of your modification. The
source has lots of comments and cross-references. Many drivers I've
looked at are also well-documented, so you don't have to be an expert in
C (but you should be proficient).

If you enjoy networking, you may find installing the application source
packages included with your distro useful as well. This will facilitate
edits to network daemon source files (and recompiling) as a way to
better understand how each daemon works, and the trade-offs their
developers made. The Apache daemon may be especially interesting since
familiarity with its source code may influence how you write your web
applications.

Happy computing.  {:-)

- Bernie

--