[CALUG] Web design question

Haroon Khalid haroon at boringdays.com
Wed May 23 16:36:12 EDT 2007

has anyone messed with Adobe Apollo?

Keith <pdragon at pdragon.net> wrote: That site is done in a Flash application. With Flash, you can design what appear to be complete, independent programs with a database back-end feeding all the data to it. You can also do things like this with Java Applets and possibly AJAX. It's honestly far from a simple thing to set up and I can guarantee you someone like the NY Times has a very well paid web app developer doing their work.

I agree with you, too, that's a very cool graphic display of the data!

Keith

On 5/23/07, Edward D. Browne < Browne at t-online.de> wrote:Are there any of you web designers who can tell me something about
web sites such as this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/politics/08RESULTS_SENANALYSIS.html

I think that's an excellent graphical display of  information, but I
don't know
enough about web design to understand how it's done.   I guess it's using
tooltips  to show details when you mouse over a county, but I've never
seen anything like the way it automatically displays the mouse-over details
from the corresponding county from the *other* election.  How is that
done?  And how do you create the graphical maps from (presumably)
the tabular data of the election results?  Are there commercial products
 that do this, or reference books that explain it?

Thanks very much - Ed