[CALUG] email - again - relaying ?

Bernard Karmilowicz karmilow at intencorp.com
Fri Aug 1 22:14:03 EDT 2008

Hi Walt:

> I have yet another freeshell related email problem. I'm using
> Thunderbird to do outgoing mail (SMTP) with no authentication of any kind.
> recall I dialup to an account by "tenex.org" ---at least thats the
> login. And the email SMTP server is set to mail.freeshell.org.

The lonestar/tenex email FAQ at:

     http://sdf.lonestar.org/index.cgi?faq?EMAIL?03

indicates "mail.freeshell.org" is the host for *incoming* email (using
POP or IMAP).

> I get an error message from most recpt addresses saying that relaying
> is not allowed.
> During several looks at the scattered help in freeshell/lonestar.org,
> I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

The aforementioned FAQ includes the following text:

     "only VHOST and VPM members may use the SMTP server"

> suggestion ??? Is there some tenex.org mail server I should use
> instead of freeshell which might explain the relay prob ?

The aforementioned FAQ asserts "smtp.freeshell.org" is the host for
*outgoing* email (using SMTP w/authentication). Per the FAQ:

     "SMTP is now done by password authentication"

 From the FAQ it appears that (1) if you are a lonestar/tenex VHOST or
VPM member, and (2) you configure your MUA (Thunderbird) to use
authentication, then you should have success sending may thru
"smtp.freeshell.org".   {:-)

Sincerely,

- Bernie

--