[CALUG] (prob solved) email - again - relaying ?

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 12:01:51 EDT 2008

hi Bernie!! and thanks for the reply.
It was a great help.

AH ! the things one forgets... or can't find...

Short story:
When I signed up months ago for the "arpa" freeshell account, I fairly
easily found some info I needed -but I still had to do searching and
picking out some details.

I had since forgotten some of the info, and this time the brain wasn't working too well ... (some of their help pages are like Unix man pages)

And:
I had somehow setup a vhost or vpm ( thanks for reminding me !!)
when I set up my other box FC6 some months ago.
which as far as I can tell, worked -- but MAY have been an intro
"free" account good for 30? days.   i.e. smtp worked OK at that time.

----

It turns out I missed that  vhost and vpm accessory accounts need
more money to make them permanent.   The only thing I'm interested
in is the SMTP, and the vpm account is the cheapest.

** prob solved :  what this means is I need to buy a VPM account.

I couldn't figure out the "relay" error part, since it seemed to
me accessing the smtp server itself and sending directly out onto
the net wasn't "relaying".  And it seemingly "worked" using
 mail.freeshell.org, which I mistook for the "other" server.
( and fooled me ).

As it happens, the IP for mail.freeshell.org is the same as  the ip
for smtp.freeshell.org.  Hence why it "sorta" almost worked. Today
I tested sending an email to myself on same domain using smtp and
no authentication,  and got a "greylisting" error.  I then repeated
sending email to a different domain and got the "relay" error again,
just to convince  myself.

I appreciate ALL the excerpts.. I needed them !!
thanks,

Walt....

---