[CALUG] Fwd: Presentation on voting technology

Chuck Frain chuckfrain at pobox.com
Tue Dec 2 22:20:43 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emil Volcheck <volcheck at acm.org>
Date: Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM
Subject: [baltolug] Presentation on voting technology
To: Baltimore Linux Users Group <baltolug at baltinet.com>

This came through on the BaltoLUG mailing list today. I though this might be
of interest to some on this list. I don't know anything beyond what is in
this announcement.
________________________

Dear Colleagues,

The Baltimore ACM Chapter is pleased to announce a presentation by
Prof. Harry Hochheiser of Towson University.

Title: "Voting: The Evolving Political and Technical Landscape"

Although the 2008 elections appear to have gone relatively smoothly,
voting technologies are still the topic of considerable debate among
policy makers and technicians.  Some jurisdictions have abandoned
electronic voting machines in favor of paper ballots, others (such as
Maryland) will be returning to paper ballots in 2010, while still
others have required paper trails.  Advocates argue for or against
different options, while researchers evaluate voting technologies and
propose new alternative designs.  This talk will explore recent
developments in voting technologies and regulations, from both policy
and research perspectives.

When:   Friday, December 12th, 8:00 PM

Where:  Towson University
       York Road Building, Room YR 301
       7800 York Road, Towson, MD

The talk is free and open to the public.

Please email volcheck at acm.org if you wish to attend.

About the speaker:

Prof. Hochheiser is an Assistant Professor in the Department of
Computer Science at Towson University.  He is a member of the
Executive Committee of the US Public Policy Committee of the ACM
(USACM).  His research interests include accessible privacy and
security, usability, and the social impact of computers.  Prior to
joining the faculty at Towson, Prof. Hochheiser did postdoctoral
research at the National Institute on Aging (Bayview) where he
developed information visualization applications for microscopy
informatics.  For more information, visit his homepage at

   http://triton.towson.edu/~hhochhei/<http://triton.towson.edu/%7Ehhochhei/> .

For more information about ACM's public policy activities, see the
USACM homepage at

   http://usacm.acm.org/  .

Please join us for dinner at 6:30 PM at the Bahama Breeze restaurant
100 E. Joppa Road, Towson, MD 21286.  Phone: (410) 821-7090.  So that
we can make a reservation, please email volcheck at acm.org if you would
like to come.

Following the lecture, we will have a brief BACM chapter meeting and
then adjourn to Bill Bateman's Bistro for drinks and socializing,
down on the first floor of the York Road Building.

BACM would like to thank Towson University for hosting this event.

New BACM Websites:

We would like to announce two BACM websites.  We have an official
website, hosted courtesy of the ACM at

   http://balto.acm.org/

and a second "community" website with more dynamic content at

   http://bacm.us/  .

This website is still under construction, but you can subscribe
to an RSS feed of all our events at

   http://bacm.us/rss.xml  .

When this site is fully operational, we will host forums
and blogs for all members who register with the site.
Stay tuned for further news.

Thank you for your attention,

The BACM Executive Committee

Emil Volcheck, Chair
Jay Smart, Vice Chair
Joyce Little, Secretary
Kathleen Harmeyer, Treasurer
Craig Holcomb, Member at Large
David Isherwood, Member at Large

Parking

After 3 PM on Fridays only, you can park in Towson University's Glen
Garage anywhere without need for a parking permit.  Enter the Glen
Garage at the entrance from Cross Campus Drive, near the York Road
intersection, and, once inside, turn left, park in any of the
"commuter" spaces.  Walk through the walkway into the 7800 York Road
Building, which leads to that building's third floor level.  The
classroom is the first room on the left side of the hall.  You may
wait in the fourth floor foyer if you arrive before the room is open.

Directions to Bahama Breeze Restaurant

Visit their website at

 http://www.bahamabreeze.com/locations2/map.asp?RestaurantID=3033

Directions to Towson University

For a map of Towson University, visit URL

 http://www.towson.edu/main/maps/  .

The York Road building (YR) is at grid cell E6, which is
about 1.7 miles inside the Baltimore Beltway.

Driving directions are at URL

 http://www.towson.edu/main/abouttu/visitor/dircampus.asp  .

For convenience, they are

>From I-95 (northbound and southbound): Take the Baltimore Beltway
I-695 west (toward Towson). Take exit 25, Charles Street. Proceed 1.7
miles. Turn left on Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the first
stoplight on Osler Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to the
campus map for information about your specific destination.

>From I-83 (northbound and southbound): Take the Baltimore Beltway
I-695 east (toward Towson). Take exit 25, Charles Street. Proceed 1.7
miles. Turn left on Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the first
stoplight on Osler Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to the
campus map for information about your specific destination.

>From I-70 (eastbound): Take the Baltimore Beltway I-695 north (toward
Towson). Take exit 25, Charles Street. Proceed 1.7 miles. Turn left on
Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the first stoplight on Osler
Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to the campus map for
information about your specific destination.

>From Baltimore (Penn Station): Proceed north on Charles Street for
five miles. Turn right on Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the
first stoplight on Osler Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to
the campus map for information about your specific destination.

>From 295/B.W. Parkway (northbound): Follow 295 into Baltimore until it
becomes Russell St.  Proceed past Camden Yards, and turn right onto
Pratt St.  Continue east past the Inner Harbor (avoiding the left
lane).  Turn left onto President St. and proceed onto I-83 north.
Travel on I-83 about 5.5 miles, take exit 10A for Northern Parkway
(eastbound).  Continue about 2 miles, turn left on York Road
(northbound), then go about 2 miles to the York Road building.  Then
turn left onto Cross Campus Drive, then turn left into the
Administration building entrance to the parking lot.

--
Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://EmilVolcheck.com/

Unsubscribe or change your mailing list settings: