[CALUG] opinion on book(s) on network security?

dcapellman at comcast.net dcapellman at comcast.net
Sun Jun 8 13:07:56 EDT 2008

Hi Ed,

I agree with what Jason mentioned that network security books become quickly dated and you may want to consider this approach for improving the security of your home-based systems:

1)  Take a look at the system/network hardening software available for your particular OS at http://www.cisecurity.org/ and run the benchmark/scoring tool.  The CIS Benchmark/Scoring tool will generate a report providing recommendations for system and network hardening.  Once you register with CIS, there is documentation available for step-by-step instruction for security mediations.
2)  I would also consider adding "The TAO of Network Security Monitoring Beyond Intrusion Detection" by Richard Bejtlich to your library as well.  If you intend on configuring an IDS system such as SNORT, this book is a good reference for network security analysis.

Doug

From: Ed Browne <edward_d_browne at yahoo.com>