[CALUG] Which Python Book?

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Thu Mar 19 21:29:57 EDT 2009

2009/3/19 Rajiv Gunja <opn.src.rocks at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for all the suggestions. I have got couple of books I am going to
> read before I purchasing a physical book.
> As of now I have:
> 1. Learning Python (read about 120 pages today and I like it)
> 2. Begining Python (seems ok too, but have not read it yet)
> 3. Python Programming for absolute beginners.
> 4. Expert Python Programming (not for beginners)
>
> I read "Dive into Python" a bit, but not sure if it is me, but the book
> directly went into "declaring functions" and "objects", so I put it in the
> back burner.

I'm not really of fan of that book either... not sure what was
off-putting about it though.  Python in a Nutshell has been the Python
bible at our office.  I think we have 15 copies of it.  It's not for
getting you up and running with programming, but it does a nice job of
walking you through the language features.

> I hope to be able to write a small program or web implementation in a month
> or two. Since there are experts in this LUG, I hope you do not mind me
> asking questions about Python.

I certainly don't mind.  BTW, there is a Python User's group in the
area (see http://pangalactic.us/bacon-pig/), and they have a mailing