[CALUG] SCSI drivers for UBUNTU 10.04 with 2.6.32-34 kernel?

Ed Browne edward_d_browne at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 07:00:45 EDT 2010

Hi,
       I have a Plextor PX-W4220T SCSI CD burner, which has worked
very well for me for many years.  Since I update from Ubuntu 8.04 to
Ubuntu 10.04, it no longer works.  The below error message seems
to say pretty clearly that it's not finding a SCSI driver, but I see virtually
no mention of any SCSi driver either in the Synaptic package manager
or anywhere on the internet - do I actually need a device-specific scsi
driver for this burner, or is there a generic scsi driver for a whole class
of scsi devices (and if so, where would I find it)?

Thanks very much - Ed

root at badcat:/home/edbrown# wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (2 found) :
 0  dev='/dev/scd0'    rwrw-- : 'JLMS' 'DVD-ROM XJ-HD166'
 1  dev='/dev/scd1'    rwrw-- : 'PLEXTOR' 'CD-R   PX-W4220T'
root at badcat:/home/edbrown# wodim dev=/dev/sdc1 -v -data mp3s.iso
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Assuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/sdc1'
devname: '/dev/sdc1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.