[CALUG] asus wifi

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 14:22:45 EST 2010

hi all, and thanks for info.
Here's where I'm at:

Bryan,

I was using System-config-network because it was "the way"
to set up my dialup modem. I find it kludgy to use when
setting up some eth.

I found NetworkManager - or rather it found me:  the icon
showed up and I tried settings.  I promptly lost my dialup,
and it took 45 minutes to get it back. Same happened yesterday.
What happens is there is interaction between the 2 programs:
System-config-network and NetworkManager.

NetworkManager does look simpler, and I'd prefer to use it.
I don't yet know if using the DSL setting would work for standard
dialup.

( as an aside, in the old days, I used to use wvdial, and the
System-Config-network sortof used the same wvdial config file.  However,
the gui did not update the file: it updated it's own file somehow,
and so the settings were never properly reciprocated.  I filed
a bug report but it was never answered. I see something of the same
here I believe.)

It was necessary today to completely eliminate eth1 from both
gui's, and then to restart the network, and then add back in
my own selected DNS servers for dialup.  This is all a PITA,
takes a long time, and soemtimes I have to repeat the procedure.
Right now, I have the NetworkManager deleted from the panel.
(The eth1 keeps insisting on putting itself back into the gui ).
There may be some checkbox in a eth setting that will override
the DNS server settings ( which keeps deleting my dialup DNS IP's ),
but I haven't been able to figure out all the dog chasing tail stuff...

And I'm worn out from the effort.

I completed Bernards procedure, which I'll mention in the next email.
I believe I have a half-decent understanding of network fundamentals,
but not being a "regular admin" using the gui's, often the labels
aren't entirely clear in the menus. I prefer to use static IP's
for closed network.

 ** NetworkManager Applet **

wired connection 1

The MAC address textbox is empty and there is no option to
probe for address.  I CAN get the number if I go thru the
setup using system-config-manager setups. Is it necessary?

IPV4 settings
(Am I setting the host ( alias) or Interface ?)
manual link  (??) or ( local link always places 69.addresses).

address   # ethernet address or host PC address ( 127.0.0.1 AND 192.168.1.20 host alias  ??)
netmask   # netmask for host or IF ( eth1 ) ( 255.255.255.0 )?
Gateway   # is the Gateway the host or the IF

route:
NetworkManager magically set my default route (Gateway) to 0.0.0.0 after I
had set it to 127.0.0.1
address   # again, IF or destination ??
netmask   # IF ?  ( 255.255.255.0)
gateway   # eth1's number ?

I don't need DNS servers for my static set IP's

thanks for any assistance..