[CALUG] christmas questions !! (addendum)

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 23:43:25 EST 2010

For MOV files, I usually use avidemux (available for all platforms) to
convert the MOV file to MKV.

My MOV files (Canon 2Ti / 550D) has its video part encoded in H.263, not
sure about the audio - PCM maybe.

Using Avidemux (gui) I choose the resultant Video codec as Xvid and Audio as
AC3. You can choose to copy the source audio as is if you want to save
processing time.

MP3 is fine for sources which has only stereo. But if you have a source
which has more than 5 channels of audio, then AC3 is better than MP3.

Encoding time:
Source: 1080p MOV format, 2 GB (6 minutes long)
Final format: 1080p MKV, 342 MB (6 minutes long)
Total time taken for conversion: 35 minutes.

-GGR
--
Rajiv G Gunja
Blog: http://ossrocks.blogspot.com