[CALUG] 10.04 broke my wireless and ssh

Ed Browne edward_d_browne at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 17:30:43 EDT 2010

Thanks for all the excellent and detailed instructions.  In answer
to the first question, yes, it's an actual upgrade.  After I get my
important stuff transferred off, I guess I'll wipe it and re-install.
I'm downloading 10.04 now, I'll do the live CD test first.

WRT SSH, yes, I can connect to myself with ssh.  Also,
I thought from the 'ufw status' => 'inactive' command
that neither iptables nor any other firewall was active,
my bad.  In fact, iptables, the bane of my existence, shows
a whole bunch of crap (see below).  I'd like to make it  go
away for openers and get about my business.  I'll continue
to work on it.   Thanks very much again - Ed

root at brazil:/var/log# iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  router               anywhere            tcp flags:!FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     udp  --  router               anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 10/sec burst 5
DROP       all  --  anywhere             255.255.255.255
DROP       all  --  anywhere             192.168.1.255
DROP       all  --  BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/8  anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/8
DROP       all  --  255.255.255.255      anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             0.0.0.0
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
LSI        all  -f  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 10/min burst 5
INBOUND    all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG_FILTER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            LOG level info prefix `Unknown Input'

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 10/sec burst 5
LOG_FILTER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            LOG level info prefix `Unknown Forward'

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  brazil               router              tcp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  brazil               router              udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       all  --  BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/8  anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/8
DROP       all  --  255.255.255.255      anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             0.0.0.0
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
OUTBOUND   all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG_FILTER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            LOG level info prefix `Unknown Output'

Chain INBOUND (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
LSI        all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain LOG_FILTER (5 references)

Chain LSI (2 references)
LOG_FILTER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
LOG        tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/RST
LOG        icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request limit: avg 1/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 5/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Inbound '
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain LSO (0 references)
LOG_FILTER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 5/sec burst 5 LOG level info prefix `Outbound '
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain OUTBOUND (1 references)
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
root at brazil:/var/log#