[CALUG] January 12 Speaker Announcement for CALUG

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Mon Jan 3 17:48:13 EST 2011

I hope everyone has recovered from a safe and happy holiday season!

For the first CALUG[0] meeting of 2011 we will be welcoming James P.
Howard II and Peter M. Van Buren. They will be presenting on "Using DVCS
Frameworks for Homogenous Systems Management".

Join us January 12th from 6:30-7pm for pizza provided by Praxis
Engineering[1] and then from 7-9pm for the main presentation! All of
this will be happening at the offices of Tenable Network Security[2]
located at:

7063 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 20832
(Enter at the back patio with the blue tables)

>From the abstract:

Multilayered interdependencies complicate the process of application
installation, management, and removal under all modern operating
systems. Numerous package management schemes have been established
to smooth these complexities which are well suited to open source
applications because of the ability to patch the source before
building, allowing administrators to account for idiosyncratic
systems.

However, the advantages of systems such as RPM can be lost when
packaging monolithic commercial applications, such as MATLAB or SAS,
because they require a certain type of environment on installation,
including system-specific interaction. In our research IT group, we
have solved this problem by managing the software applications
environment directly and recording updates using Git. In effect, we
treat the entire noncore OS features of out network computing
environment as a large repository. This presentation outlines the
issues we faced, why we selected Git, technical challenges, and some
of the cultural concerns we encountered.

About the presenters:

James has worked at the Federal Reserve Board since 2003. Before
that, he was a consultant to the Executive Office of the President
and the House of Representatives. He has also implemented social
media solutions to improve local governance in Columbia and Howard
County, Maryland. He has a master of public administration from the
University of Baltimore and graduated from the University of Maryland.

Peter has worked at the Federal Reserve Board since 2008. Before that,
he worked for MarketBridge, a marketing and sales strategy consulting
firm to Fortune 500 IT companies, and Booz Allen Hamilton. He graduated
from Dartmouth College.

[0]http://www.calug.org
[1]http://www.praxiseng.com
[2]http://www.tenable.com