[CALUG] Fedora upgrade .... CALUG Digest, Vol 54, Issue 14

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jun 21 01:02:06 EDT 2011

For storage performance, especially in arrays, perfect boundaries on page,
block, stripe and cache are ideal.  If you use CHS addressing, then you're on
imperfect boundaries.

Again, CHS can be safely _ignored_ with NT and Linux.  I used to default to
dealing with it until I did some performance testing.  That's when I switched to
exact sector alignments on perfect boundaries (1GiB today, I started with 256MiB
back then) years ago.

One can set down to 32/64 if one so desires, but it really doesn't matter either
way.  Putting in the exact number of 512b or, more recently, 4KiB sectors is
always absolute.  But 32/64 will show up far more pretty in legacy fdisk
versions.