[CALUG] ethernet network analyser

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Nov 3 09:36:44 EDT 2011

Ethereal uses libpcap.  So anything that captures with libpcap operates
the same.  You don't have to use Ethereal on the same system as the
capture.  And yes, layer-2 frames are caught with the higher data, as
long as you are sniffing everything on the interface (and not using
another option that does not).

However, ifyou need to capture all Ethernet traffic on your network, then you'll need to plug the interface into a "monitor" or other port in your switch fabric which receives all port traffic.  Otherwise you will only see broadcasts, or multicasts/unicasts where your interface is a party to the communication.

In your case of software, I don't see how any network capture is going to help you.  Unless your storage is iSCSI (SCSI over IP), it's not going to go out the network interface.

And a logic analyzer is going to flood you with information.  You're not going to be able to decode the whole stack (let alone you'll need to tap several areas).

What you're most likely seeking is System Tap (stap) [1], a capability developed by Red Hat and actively supported and contributed to by a number of IHVs and ISVs.  Although some try to associate it as the Linux equivalent of Solaris DTrace, it's different.  It's more flexible in some ways, and more dangerous in others (and that's an over-simplification).

[1] http://sourceware.org/systemtap/