[CALUG] ethernet network analyser

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Mon Nov 14 15:43:37 EST 2011

  A good book on the subject is Practical Packet Analysis...available in
a Library Near You.

The book tells you what you need to know...from the physical (you need a
hub or a promiscuous switch), how to use tcpdump and wireshark either
together or separately, and cooks up some scenarios and shows how to use
wireshark to analyze them. Thorough, but Easy to Read.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Packet-Analysis-Wireshark-Real-World/dp/1593271492

JIM

P.S. There is also a Curses based tool called iptraf, which is useful in
certain cases