[CALUG] Choosing a residential/SMB high speed internet provider

Scott Kitterman sklist at kitterman.com
Tue Aug 7 16:48:32 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, August 07, 2012 01:08:24 PM benalgo at speakeasy.net wrote:
> various technical aspects such as using one's own (wifi) modem (supposedly
> Verizon did unofficially support this by allowing their modems to be set up
> in bridge mode, not sure about Comcast), IPV6 support (supposedly Comcast
> offers this whereas Verizon doesn't, but does this matter ??), device
> resets (a friend who has FIOS needs to call in after a (sustained) power
> outage to "reactivate" the devices)

I've had Comcast and have Fios.  My experience may be slightly different than
others because I had/have business packages with both of them (for static
IPs).

Fios has been far more reliable.  I've never needed to call in to have a
device reactivated.

For Comcast you have a cable modem that even when it's set up to be
transparent, in my experience never really was.

For Fios, there is a Fiber/Ethernet converter and then a router.  I didn't use
Verizon's.  The Ethernet device in my network is a switch of mine.  So you can
use anything you want.

Although IPv6 is starting to see some use, it'll be a long time before it
becomes essential.  Unless you have a specific technical reason to want IPv6
for something non-standard you are doing, I wouldn't let it affect your
decision at all.

Scott K