[CALUG] Windows 8 - Customer Preview

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:15:41 EST 2012

Not sure how many tried it out, I installed it under VirtualBox last night
got it running. ( Mandriva 2011 host)

It is quite fast compared to the previous beta release. Of course there is
no OS junk on it, so it seems fast.

Lot of KDE desktop feature are present on this OS.
It feels like the design is more for a touch-screen or tablet than a PC.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101935971370487751058/albums/5714881182905209377?banner=pwa

When I installed it, it would not recognise my 16:9 (1920x1080) monitor. it
only allowed 4:3 mode, I had to force it via VBoxManage command line.
--> VBoxManage setextradata "Wincows_8" CustomVideoMode1 1920x1080x32

(The name "Wincows" was NOT intentional. My eyes were burning last night
and was typing while squinting at the monitor.)

Virtual devices allocated:
Memory : 4 GB
CPU : 4 threads
Video Memory : 128 MB