[CALUG] Booting back to Linux

jecottrell3 at comcast.net jecottrell3 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 11:12:04 EST 2012

No. Any DHCP *should* see the box as The Same Client. Hosts frequently crash and are given the same address, especially if the Lease is Active.

The other possibility is that the Windows Client and the Linux Client look different. A popular misconception is that DHCP looks at the MAC Address. In reality, it looks at the Client ID, which can be anything from a Host Name to a Random Number, but if not given, it Defaults to the MAC.

Therefore, check to see if a hostname is being specified on either client, and check the Logs to see what the DHCP Server is seeing.

Certain Routers make very poor DHCP Servers. Windows Servers are OK, but you probably have to play their game. Linux DHCP is more flexible, but it may take you awhile to find the right options.

On Linux, do a man on dhclient and see if there is a file that lists your hostname.

A packet trace may have to be done.

JIM