[CALUG] May 14th Meeting Announcement - Gareth Digby

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Fri May 9 21:22:58 EDT 2014

Greetings All,

For the May 14th meeting we'll be welcoming our own Gareth Digby. He
will be giving us a presentation on using virtualization to teach
computer forensics.

Gareth will discuss the use of Linux virtual machines to create
exercises and assignments for the course he teaches. The presentation
also shows how the distribution of the Linux guest virtual machines to
the students allows them to take the skills they have learned in class
away with them.  Gareth will give the reasoning behind the approach that
he has taken and some of the reasons things are the way they are in
order to explain the computer system architectural context to the
students.  The presentation will draw out the educational and
pedagogical aspects of the decisions that have been made so that others
setting up a teaching environment are able to understand some of the
trades that have made between technology and education.

The meeting will take place at OmniTI, located in Fulton, MD. The
address is 11830 West Market Place Fulton, MD 20759. The building is
near the Harris Teeter, easily seen from the road. When you approach the
HT head on, the OmniTI office is in the complex to its right.

We'll be using the back entrance which is surrounded by plants which
will lead directly to the meeting room.

Be sure to show up from 6:30 until 7 for pizza provided by Tenable
Network Security and socializing. The meeting will start about 7pm.

http://www.calug.org
http://www.tenable.com
http://omniti.com
http://omniti.com/is/here