[CALUG] Sudden logout

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Sat Dec 9 12:27:12 EST 2017

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Howard <how0909 at freeshell.org> wrote:
[snip]
> [ 39968.681] (EE) Illegal instruction at address 0x7f4cf725dc90
> [ 39968.681] (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> [ 39968.681] (EE) Caught signal 4 (Illegal instruction). Server aborting
> [ 39968.681] (EE)
> [ 39968.681] (EE)
> Please consult the Fedora Project support
>          at http://wiki.x.org
>  for help.
> [ 39968.681] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
> for additional information.
> [ 39968.681] (EE)
> [ 39968.683] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
> [ 39968.692] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
>
> So I searched on wikki.x.org and saw one thread with same "Caught signal 4
> (Illegal instruction)." error produced when this guy started kde on ubuntu
> on vmware on win7. Not quite similar.

I can't say anything about how to fix the problem, but "Illegal
instruction" could mean one of several issues:

* The binary is corrupt in some way (in this case, it corrupted an
instruction and made the software do something illegal)
* The installed binary assumes better processor support than what you
have and is calling an instruction your processor doesn't support.  If
an update happened, it could be the updated binaries are broken (not
unusual with Fedora) and you might need to backpedal to a previous
version
* It could be that the compiler messed up here (it would definitely
not be the first time I've seen that!) and chose either a wrong
instruction or created bad output

One thing that might be worth trying is downloading and re-installing
the Xserver RPMs.

Sorry I don't have better advice!

-John