[CALUG] Sudden logout

Bernard Karmilowicz karmilow at intencorp.com
Sat Dec 9 16:34:23 EST 2017

Good afternoon, Howard;

>> The last line in the file should be something to the effect of when the session terminates normally:
>>     "Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file."

> Well not what I'm seeing:)
> [ 39968.680] (EE) 11: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf1) [0x7f4cfab58431]
> [ 39968.681] (EE) 12: /usr/libexec/Xorg (_start+0x2a) [0x424d5a]
> [ 39968.681] (EE)
> [ 39968.681] (EE) Illegal instruction at address 0x7f4cf725dc90
> [ 39968.681] (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> [ 39968.681] (EE) Caught signal 4 (Illegal instruction). Server aborting

Thank you. That is useful information.

> So the only clue so far has been  that signal 4.

Either what was at address 0x7f4cf725dc90 was never intended to be executed (why the program counter was pointing there is a good question), or - as John Szakmeister suggested - the compiler output an assembly instruction not compatible with your hardware. If the latter is the problem then a work-around may be to recompile the X Server (xorg) and related code (e.g. graphics driver modules) natively. If however the former is the problem then one answer to the good question may simply be that some modules are stepping on each other (vice a bug in the xorg and/or associated code).

> I don't understand the events leading up to that there so...
> Any ideas?

Other than debugging the code/configuration problem, yes. Some less interesting/fun options are:

     1. upgrade to Fedora 26 or 27 with the hope the code/configuration bug washed-out after Fedora 25
     2. reinstall xorg as John Szakmeister suggested

It may also help while doing either of the above to refrain from installing more than one graphic driver to minimize the opportunity for module conflicts/incompatibilities. Ref. "Message #57" of the thread at:

Good luck.

- Bernie

--
   IntEn Corporation