[CALUG] moving files between linux and windows

Bryan Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Nov 6 23:28:58 EST 2017

Sorry, correction on the Rufus link (the GitHub page is not ideal if
you just want to download). [2a]

Also remember that some GUI tools are problematic.

Microsoft admitted that pre-Windows 10, Explorer.EXE could regularly
and consistently cause corruptions.  In Windows 10, there are still
issues, but Microsoft hasn't fessed up to them ... yet.  I install
TeraCopy, which uses rsync underneath, which gives you options right
in Explorer to copy with it instead.

On Linux, the Desktop Environment's File Manager, or alternatives,
will vary greatly.  I use PC-FileMan for small tasks, but I still
prefer rsync (typically I use -aAHSXxv to get all Extended
Attributes).  When it comes to boot/root, I still prefer dump/restore.

- bjs

[2a] https://rufus.akeo.ie/

E-mail:  b.j.smith at ieee.org  or  me at bjsmith.me