[CALUG] January 9 Meeting Announcement - Creating a resume with LaTeX

chuck at chuckfrain.net chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sun Jan 6 11:06:42 EST 2019

Greetings All,

For the January 9, 2019 CALUG meeting we will be welcoming Thomas
Delrue who will be talking about Creating a resume with LaTeX.

Following on last month’s excellent meeting on #RecruiterFail and
#CandidateFail, this month we’ll look at resumes, including a way for
writing your resume and keeping it up to date:

Some of the questions we’ll discuss are:

- Basics of resumes, because why not?

- Does it puzzle you why your resume is a binary blob even when you’re
working with it yourself?

- Are you annoyed with using or having to use WYSIWYG editors to write
your resume?

- Have you always yearned for a clearer separation between the content
of your resume and its presentation?

- Do you dislike that your resume is just text without semantics?

- Do you have multiple equivalent versions of your resume without an
easy way to track which contains what?

- Have you secretly wished your resume could be more like code?

- Resume pet peeves that drive the speaker bonkers.

You’re not alone, Thomas Delrue had the same thoughts. He will walk you
through his approach for writing and maintaining his resume. He uses
LaTeX, make and source code control to write, maintain and version his
resume. While not a recruiter, Thomas does read his fair share of
resume’s as part of his daytime job. He’ll also share some of his own
pet peeves, likes and dislikes with resume’s that he sees flying across
his desk.

If you have any questions regarding your own resume that you don’t mind
sharing with the group, bring your resume along and ask away at the
end!

We will be hosted at the UMBC Training Center, located at 6996 Columbia
Gateway Dr #100, Columbia, MD 21046. When you walk in through the mail
lobby make a right. We will be at the end of the hall in the last room
on the right. Our friends at Aplura will be providing the pizza and
soda starting at 6:30. The talk will start about 7pm.

We are looking for speakers for the upcoming months. If you have a
topic you would like to present on, please let me know and I’ll get you
scheduled.

http://calug.org
https://www.umbctraining.com/Home
https://aplura.com