[CALUG] Looking for advice

Wes Westhaver wes at westhaver.com
Tue Mar 5 14:12:51 EST 2019

Thanks to all who offered advice on my quest for a multi-monitor Ubuntu
workstation.

I took a little gamble and bought a used Dell Optiplex 7010 and two 22" Dell
monitors. The Optiplex has a built-in video card that has two DisplayPort
ports and one VGA port. I figured that buying a very common Dell PC would
mean that it's video card would probably be supported by Ubuntu, and if not
I could buy an appropriate video card.

Once I had the monitors connected with the DisplayPort cables and Ubuntu
loaded, I was pleasantly surprised that both monitors came to life. No muss,
no fuss! Then I set about finding Linux equivalents for all of my Windows
software. It took a while but I'm very happy to say I now have a nicely
equipped Ubuntu workstation. Bye bye Windows.

After a while I got to wondering if the unused VGA port might support a
third monitor. So I hooked up one of my old 17" Dell monitors and to my
delight it came to life too! So now I have a ton of screen real estate to
work with.

Here's a shot of my system as it stands right now:

http://hawking.stealing-fire.com/5FBA1BFE-1109-4E46-B6DB-056595FFC889.JPG

It turns out that multi-monitor support was a not an issue at all with
Ubuntu.

Thanks again,
-Wes