[CALUG] November CALUG Meeting Annoucement — Linux Mirroring Made Easy

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sat Nov 9 13:03:25 EST 2019

Greetings All,

For the November 13, 2019 CALUG meeting we will have a presentation from
Evan Bolt on Linux Mirroring Made Easy.

Every major Linux distribution depends on some package manager which pulls
software from a mirror server. During an internship, Evan Bolt was given
the task of creating some Linux repositories for Dakota State University.
After learning how many of the main distros (Arch, CentOS, Debian, Fedora,
Ubuntu) do their mirroring, he decided to create a generic script for
distros that just used a few rsync commands. However, Debian (and some
derivatives) make use of their own script called 'ftpsync' (which still
uses rsync). He decided to write a tool that allows for deploying using
either Debian’s tool for known supported distros or by using his custom
script. Out of that project came 'mirror-deploy' (working title). This
script will deploy a full Linux mirror (minus a web server, that feature is
to be added), a directory structure to keep scripts for each distribution
organized, and logging for each distro.

Evan Bolt is a recent graduate from Dakota State University with an M.S in
Applied Computer Science and a B.S in Cyber Operations. He has been a Linux
user for 3 years and is currently a researcher at Johns Hopkins Applied
Physics Laboratory. You can find his work at GitHub:
https://github.com/ejbolt (it’s pretty bare, but the mirror scripts live
there).

We will be hosted at the UMBC Training Center, located at 6996 Columbia
Gateway Dr #100, Columbia, MD 21046. When you walk in through the mail
lobby make a right. We will be at the end of the hall in the last room on
the right. Our friends at Aplura will be providing the pizza and soda
starting at 6:30. The talk will start at about 7pm.

We are looking for speakers for the upcoming months. If you have a topic
you would like to present on, please let me know and I’ll get you scheduled.

   -

   http://calug.org
   -

   https://www.umbctraining.com/Home