[CALUG] Mesh WiFi

Bryan Smith me at bjsmith.me
Mon Oct 26 15:00:58 EDT 2020

SOHO or commercial?  If home, Amplifi is Ubiquiti's SOHO products.

Synology Mesh is better -- I have it on my hilly/split-level 3 acres
(covers about 1 acre close to the house with RT2600ac + 2xMR2200ac),
and their non-router base stations (currently MR2200ac, probably a
newer one due shortly) is far more powerful -- radio/performance-wise
(as a router alone, MR lacks what the RT has) -- than most of the
consumer products out there.  Some people like the Synology RTM
(Router) software, which is similar to their DSM (DiskStation), and
some do not.  There are other products with similar hardware to the
Synlogy RT series.  I know Synology is reading a new series of
products for the new, proposed IEEE 802.11 standards.  But I've had
great experience with the RT/MR series, especially 5GHz, but even
2.4GHz is solid, over the past 4 years (RT1900ac, which was
underpowered for Snort/IDS-IPS, RT2600ac much better).

Going commercial, whole different ballgame.  Although prices go up, of course.

- bjs