[CALUG] Mesh WiFi

Ainsley ainsley.gibson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 10:14:26 EDT 2020

I too used Ubiquiti for a commercial/semi-private facility some years ago.
It worked well at the time, no real issues, and had to use their
proprietary Web console for initial setup which is common I guess. PoE
switch required for wired devices but setup and functionality was great! I
have a work colleague who really likes the new stuff in the Ubiquiti line
and has made a really "smart home" out of what they offer with cameras all
around and all that stuff...

Ainsley

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 8:56 AM Chuck Frain <chuck at chuckfrain.net> wrote:

> I went with Ubiquiti AC lite access points ($80-$90 on average). For the
> number of devices connecting vs the features offered in the pro, the price
> difference wasn't justified. I picked up 2 APs which, for my home, is
> probably overkill. But with where they're positioned I get strong coverage
> everywhere, including the yard. I run the controller software off of an
> existing VM that I have for other purposes.
>
> I know some people who like the Ubiquiti routers and others who think they
> are way overpriced for home use. I have my OPNSense box for the firewall an
> routing needs.
>
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Thomas Delrue <thomas at epistulae.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Just as a general feelers-being-put-out... Does anyone have opinions or
>> experiences with Mesh WiFi products (e.g. Amplifi or Ubiquiti) for home
>> use?
>> Which ones do you use and how (un)happy are you with them? How hard are
>> they to install, expand, or manage?
>>
>> How much (as a range) did you pay for them?
>>
>> Eager to hear what people have running...
>>

> --
> Chuck Frain
> GPG Key: B2420431
> http://www.chuckfrain.net

Ainsley

“To lead people, walk beside them... As for the best leaders, the people do
not notice their existence. The next best, the people honor and praise. The
next, the people fear; and the next, the people hate... When the best
leader's work is done the people say, 'We did it ourselves!'”

 Lao Tzu quote
<http://thinkexist.com/quotation/to_lead_people-walk_beside_them-as_for_the_best/344532.html>