[CALUG] ubuntu Unity alternatives.

Jim Bauer jfbauer at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 12:51:43 EST 2015

On 01/01/2015 11:25 AM, Wendel Dean Renner wrote:
> I updated ubuntu 9.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS because I could no longer
> get packages for 9.04.
>
> Pershaps someone could give me an overview of who or what is driving
> Ubuntu?     I find the Unity desktop completely foreign and confusing.
> I could not even figure out how to get a terminal window up.
> You have to hit control-alt-T.   How is anyone suppose to know that?
> I understand it is designed for netbooks and touch based devices.
> I need something for a desktop computer.
>
> I have considered going back to an earlier desktop such as
> GNOME or KDE. Is there any reason why that would not be a good
> idea?

Unity is just the default on Ubuntu.  Feel free to switch to either
Gnome or KDE or something else.  They'll all work.  What you choose is
just personal preference.  I for one have been using Xfce on Ubuntu for
ages now.

If you did an upgrade, everything for Gnome and/or KDE might already be
installed and it should be an option from the login screen.  If you did
a fresh install, or you want to try something else, you may have to
install any additional desktop environments you want.