[CALUG] NIC gone missing with Ubuntu 11.10

Sean Wilkerson swilkerson at aplura.com
Tue Dec 20 09:40:10 EST 2011

Ed,

I have historically had issues with upgrading most Linux distros, so
problems like this are not unusual.

There are is a significant amount of content available on the Internet
for troubleshooting things like this, so I won't recreate that, but here
is what you can do to get started:

- You need to determine if the kernel is seeing the hardware and if so,
if the drivers are loaded.  It is possible that the mkinitrd that ran at
the end of the upgrade didn't add in your drivers properly
- Are you sure you booted into the correct kernel for the new version?
- Did you try booting to the safe/recovery kernel instance and see if
that works
- Does the kernel recognize the hardware?
-- Run # "dmesg > /tmp/dmesg.out" then grep /tmp/dmesg.out for strings
like net, eth, e1000 and see if it finds anything
-- Run # "lsmod > /tmp/lsmod.out" then grep /tmp/lsmod.out for strings
like net
-- Run # "lshw > /tmp/lshw.out" then grep /tmp/lshw.out for the string
network and see what is there
- If you have a USB nic, plug that in and see if it works, it should
right away

Sean